Big Mama Taylor Blog

Big Mama Taylor Blog

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Big Mama's Favorite Granola Bars

I wanted to get a quick blog up today before my kids woke up from their nap but I spent far too much time MAKING MY FACEBOOK FAN PAGE. Yes you read that correctly, and yes, you can have my autograph. I have no idea what I am doing but I am trying to grow my blog so I decided to make a Big Mama Taylor page! I plan to post the crazy weird things that happen to me and the insane things that come out of my kiddos mouths. So come on over to Big Mama's facebook fan page and like it! https://www.facebook.com/BigMamaTaylor

Today I wanted to share one of my very favorite mom-on-the-go recipes. We stay pretty busy here at Casa de Taylor. I try to hit up our local YMCA every day, because they have free childcare, and I get a break and a tighter booty. I am in love with the workers there for loving on my children and giving me a break, and if we miss a day, they send out the search unit. Heaven forbid I miss my daily free child care! Seriously though I do not know what I would do without the Y. We typically have at least one thing going on after the YMCA as well. We meet a friend at the park, go to a movie, or go to the grocery, but we are going all morning. I like to think of my children as hyper pets who need exercise, so I call it "running the boys." So these homemade granola bars have become a staple in my house. I got them off another fabulous mom blog I read, the Marathon Mom! Click around her site because she is amazing! The Marathon Mom Granola Bars


Of course mine do not look nearly as good as the Marathon Mom's but I am ok with that! The first few times I made them exactly according to the recipe and they were so yummy. Definitely give it one try following the Marathon Mom's way because they rock. But over time I have gotten lazy and often just dump the whole jar of coconut oil, natural peanut butter, some flax, and throw in some honey and call it good. I also add way more flax than it calls for because I sorta can't get enough flaxseed in my life. Since I have stopped measuring and just thrown stuff in, they have been a little different every time, but my kids don't seem to mind and they are still yummy! 

Here is Big Mama's version:

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of whatever natural peanut butter costs the least and has no added sugar. Just peanuts. (Or almond butter or cashew butter or a combo!)
  • Big Dollop of good honey. I read one time that most  mass produced honey in stores now is not true honey from bees and just glorified sugar, so I spend the money on good local honey from hole foods, and just don't use much
  • 1 jar of coconut oil
  • Bunch of oats (I dump in until a very thick consistency develops, that's hard to stir)
  • Bunch of ground flax
  • Little bit of chia seeds
  • 1 bag of good dark chocolate chips
Instructions: Melt the nut butter, honey and coconut oil in a saucepan. Make sure all the nut butter is completely melted or it will clump. The natural nut butter is hard to melt and takes time. Keep the heat on very low and whisk for 5-10 minutes. Do not let it boil. Remove from heat and add the ground flax, oats, and pecans or walnuts if desired. Spread into a pan that has been buttered or sprayed or lined with parchment paper. Since I don't measure I typically use a large 13x9 pan and sometimes also use an 8x8 pan depending on how much I have. Refrigerate the bars and then cut them with a sharp knife. Store in fridge or freezer. 

When we are running out the door I can't think of anything better than to know we have had a yummy treat that includes protein, good fats in coconut oil, and all the benefits of flax. Happy Baking Y'all!

xoxo Big Mama

2 comments:

  1. Nom! I shall try these for the neices and nephews...maybe adding some sunflower seeds. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete